Friday, November 9, 2012

My First Five-Minute Friday

I have been reading a blog by Lisa Jo Baker for quite some time, and she has this thing she does every Friday called "Five-Minute Friday."  Once a week, bloggers from all over take five minutes and write on the same topic.  This week's topic is "Quiet."  Here's my attempt to write for five minutes flat, no editing, just typing:

I just got to work. The phone hasn’t started ringing yet. The boss is out of town. Looks like a quiet day ahead. I have a few minutes at my computer to check email. I find myself reading inspirational blog posts and daily devotions. I see that my friends on facebook are living their own lives today. In this quiet time, I hear all those voices. Some needing prayer, some giving praise for prayers answered. Do I hear God speaking to me? Yes, I think I do. I hope this quiet continues so that I can use my own voice to share what God says to me. Will it be profound? Will it be simple? Will it be something I’ve known for a long time but only now is confirmed? Will I need to make decisions that will affect not only me, but the lives of my family and others? As a wife and mother, my life is not quiet. I cherish these moments, when I can sit and listen. Sometimes nothing speaks quite so loudly as the silence.
And right on cue, the phone rings.

Here's a link to Lisa Jo if you want to try it out for yourself:   http://lisajobaker.com/2012/11/five-minute-friday-quiet/

7 comments:

  1. Hi Stacie, I'm so glad you're joining 5MF! I have found such a great community here and I attribute a lot of my growth as a writer to this practice! Anyway, I love your post. I sense the quiet in your heart as you sit with God. And I cherish those moments with you. Thanks so much for sharing and again, I'm so excited that you're joining in! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Congrats on your first (of many!) FMF Posts! I love that you pointed to quiet time in hearing prayer requests and praise reports! So often we can get stuck in what we think is 'quiet time' - but it is all around us all day long - if we only slow down enough to notice and tap in to it! Thanks for the reminder!
    ~Karrilee~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for your encouragement! I plan continue in the FMF family (now that I've figured out kinda how it works). Hope to talk to you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to your first fmf post! I just did my first a couple of months ago...and now look forward to it every week.
    Love those moments before the day starts of quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good, Stacie. I struggle to use my quiet time constructively, but looks like you've already got that part down pat!

    ReplyDelete