Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Cure For My Insomnia

Insomnia is not something I have ever been personally associated with.  On the few occasions I have had trouble sleeping, it was usually because I had too many things on my mind.  Once I sat down and made my to-do lists and don't-forget to get lists, I was fine.  I have always joked that I could sleep upside down in a corner.  Even my sister-in-law can testify to you that I can fall asleep mid-sentence.  True story.  I can sleep anywhere.   So as I lay awake this morning, waaayyy too early for the too-many-eth time, I couldn't help but feel uneasy.  I went over and over in my mind the things I had to think about.  We were leaving for the beach in a few hours.  I had packed everything (well, everything that was able to be packed already).  I had made my lists days ago and checked them off.  I got up and paid a couple of bills online, balanced my checkbook, thinking that might help.  But sleep still avoided me.   As I made my way back to bed, I figured I'd just will myself to sleep.  Just lay still, slow deep breaths, relax, relax, relax.  Nope, too quiet.  Then I remembered what I had told my children when they were little and were scared or couldn't sleep - Talk to Jesus. Sure, why not? I talk to Jesus all the time right?  "Pray without ceasing," that's what the Bible says.  Several times a day I would take a second to mention someone who crossed my mind up to the Lord, for him to touch them in whatever way they needed.  This should be easy. "Okay Lord, I'm having a little trouble getting in these last few hours of sleep.  Can you help?"  Quiet.  "Hello?  It's been five minutes and I'm not asleep yet.  Did you hear me Lord?"  Quiet.  uh-oh.  And it hit me.  I hadn't stopped and taken the time to truly pray one-on-one with my Jesus in quite a while.  "Ahem, um, Lord, I'm here.  I need you.  Can you please come help me?  I don't know what's wrong.  Can you show me?"  It was almost as if He said, "Well, hello my child. You should call your Father more often."  Two hours later, I had actually overslept thirty minutes. And it continues.  This conversation between me and the Lord this morning.  It moved me so that I had to take a time out from gettng ready to tell you about it.  No worries.  If we leave a little later, the beach will be there waiting.  God's got this all under control.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found your cure. Isn't it wonderful that God loves you so much that he cared whether you slept or not?

    ReplyDelete