Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Grocery Shopping With Jesus

     I met God today. He was at the grocery store. Ok, so I can’t tell you what He looks like or anything, but I think we buy a lot of the same items. Much the same way you see the same people on every aisle - you’re going one way, they’re going the other, and by the time you’re finished shopping you feel like you’ve made a friend even though you’ve probably not said a word to each other - that’s the way I saw Him. He was on almost every aisle.
     You see, this is the week the big bills are due, which leaves very little money for anything else. I had prayed earlier in the week, and I had my list made. So I head to the store with $100 to buy groceries and put some gas in my car. It occurred to me (by way of the Holy Spirit) that I should buy groceries first, just what was on my list, and put what was left in gas. My goal was to split it $70/$30.
     His first appearance was in the pharmacy department. There was some over-the-counter medicine I needed. As is becoming more frequent, they were out of my usual generic brand - or so I thought. I knew I couldn’t afford the name brand, and I really didn’t want a smaller box for about the same price. A silent, "Please let there be one somewhere," and what do you think I saw?! On my tiptoes I could see one box on the very top shelf waaaaay in the back, laying on its side almost out of sight. "Thank you Jesus!" and a happy dance. (Hey, it’s Walmart, you can’t get embarrassed there.)
     I make my way through my usual route, picking up my usual items. No surprises there. Then I get to the chip aisle. It was practically wiped out since it was the opening weekend of SEC football (Roll Tide). I had to look closely and make my decision carefully. I finally chose two bags, but for a slightly higher price than I had anticipated (8¢ per bag more). I was wondering how that would affect the rest of my shopping since I was on such a tight limit. What if all the other aisles were the same way?!
     But I needn’t have worried. I would meet God again around the corner. I chuckled to myself. The price for the sugar I needed had actually dropped 10¢! I laughed out loud when the cooking oil, which normally costs well over $3.00, had dropped to $2.98! By the time I made it to cross the aisle to the Lunchables, I was practically in tears. They were still on sale!! Three weeks in a row - it was a miracle!!
     There are other instances as I finished my shopping. A few cents here and there. I gave a "woohoo" every time, and by the time I was at the produce - I honestly have no idea how much the potatoes cost me. My grand total - $66.02. Not counting the two pennies, I was $4 under my goal ($70 for groceries, $30 for gas), and I had gotten everything on my list.
     I guess God needed gas too, because He showed up at the pumps at the same time as me. I was considering only putting in the $30 and keeping the extra $4, just in case I needed something next week. Being the gentleman He is, He politely said, "No. You agreed to put whatever was left in gas. I gave you a list of everything you will need, and you’ve got those things. Trust me." I’m sure the clerk never had anybody pay for $34 in gas on pump #3, but today is special.
     I have a peace as I drive home and put away my groceries. I don’t know if anybody else got sugar for $2.98 or Lunchables for $1. I’m not even going to look at my receipt to see if the cashier made a mistake. I have my own private stockboy with His own special price gun. And I can trust that He will always give me the right price.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this, Stacie, especially "Hey, it’s Walmart, you can’t get embarrassed there." But the whole thing brought back memories of having to watch literally every penny spent. I remember times when I would shop until the money ran out and then I'd stop. Whatever was left on the list would just have to wait until the next week. But we got through it, with God's help of course, and you will too.

    ReplyDelete