Monday, August 27, 2012

God's Facebook Page

     "What’s on your mind?" That’s what appears at the top of the screen when I open my facebook page. Sometimes that’s a very good question. We all want our update status to sound clever or funny or insightful. The one that has the most comments and likes, or maybe even the occasional share. To be what everybody’s talking about. "Hey, did you read so-n-so’s facebook? Was that not just amazing?" or, "Did you see what son-n-so is doing today? That sounds like fun." or even, "Can you believe what so-n-so’s kid said to her?!" The prayer requests, the birthday wishes, the photo captions. It can all be good if used properly.
     As parents, most of our posts probably revolve around our children. Something funny they’ve said or some goal they’ve achieved. And we try not to embarrass them because we know when we "tag" them their friends will see it too. But what about when the roles are reversed, and the parent becomes the subject of the teen’s update status? Not usually a good thing. As was the case with my son last night.
     We all have bad habits or get ourselves into situations sometimes that could be very embarrassing if they were made public. Without going into any detail, I’ll simply say that my son came into the living room and said, "What if I took a picture of this and put it on facebook, just to see what comments we’d get." My eyes flew wide and I calmly told him no. When he proceeded to take his phone out of his pocket, my brow deepened and my reply was more of a threatening growled "no." Now don’t get me wrong, this wasn’t anything major, but it wasn’t something I wanted posted for the world to see either. He just laughed and said, "That would be embarrassing wouldn’t it?!" Ya think!
     He put his phone back in his pocket and walked away laughing. But it left me thinking, what if God had a facebook?! As our father, would His posts be mostly about us, His children? Would He have anything good to tell? How do you think He would fill in the blanks:
  • "Movie night! We’re watching ________."
  • "Riding down the road with my daughter, singing _________ at the top of our lungs!"
  • "Quiet evening at home with my son watching ______ on tv."
  • "Sunday morning church with my family. This afternoon I think we will _______."
  • "Tucking my babies into bed tonight. Read them _______ before they fell asleep."
  • "My daughter just told me the best story - ________."
     I’m ashamed to say God may not have much to post about me, and some of what He did could be as embarrassing as that picture my son would have taken. I thought about all the other things I do that I wouldn’t want made public. Things that only the closest of my closest friends know. The tv show I love to watch, even though there are a few scenarios I shouldn’t allow myself to see. The music I enjoy listening to that sometimes doesn’t have the best message. The book I’ll read at bedtime instead of doing my bible study.
     After I calmed down, I realized my son’s phone doesn’t have the capability to post pictures directly to facebook, so I probably could have called his bluff and gotten away with it. But I wouldn’t want to take that chance. Some things are private for a reason.  And the friend that matters most has more than just a facebook view of my life.  Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. love this message...I think I need to share it on my facebook! :D Love ya

    ReplyDelete